
I think that we have all known siblings that defined the term - Sibling Rivalry. The constant competition and always trying to out do the other one. The other day Erin told me that she liked my belly button better than hers. I have always been envious of Erin's red hair and her super cute look....but I can tell you that over all, I don't think that either Erin or I are the jealous type. Any time we visit each other the first thing we do is a short show and tell - Erin shows me her latest sewing project, I show Erin my newest find from Buffalo Exchange. The show and tell is a ritual, not something to make the other sister envious. We have never really been competitive at all with each other. Maybe it is the difference in age (4 years) or maybe it is just that we both truly want to best for the other sister.

I wonder if the sibling rivalry pushed Serena and Venus Williams to be better in their sport? Should Erin and I try to incorporate the rivalry to finish our dissertations?

What about the Olsen Twins - do they feel jealous if one looks better than the other in a photo shoot? Freaky.
I don't know what term I would use to describe Erin and I - I want the best for us both. There are many things I want to happen for both of us (completing out degrees, getting good jobs, starting families, being happy). I see us as having Sibling Empathy for each other.
I love you Erin and want you to reach all of your goals and have a WONDERFUL life.
UPDATE post: Erin just told me her yoga teacher gave her a shout-out in class....and I got jealous inside... ahhh! Sometimes you can't help it....
3 comments:
I bet that sibling rivalry is a Freudian thing, and Freud is a big doo-doo head. We should ignore him--as my mother always said, he is probably just jealous.
Miss you Becca!
Now, I once gave my brother the stitches with a teddy bear and he in turn gave me the concussion with a very heavy carton filled with sundry lovliness, so I know the rivalry between siblings can be of an extreme nature. Ultimately however, I think it is so much better to be such good friends! I admire the unity I see in your sisterhood!
Attempting the "sibling rivalry" for the sake of your dissertations could be interesting and productive. I doubt it would cause any damage at all.
I think the two of you should try it out.
Which one of you will get the chapter they're working on now done first?
Post a Comment